Wednesday 21 March 2012

something special: dark chocolate cake

Today is my brother's girlfriend's birthday. He planned out a whole lovely evening for her, which included a decadent, healthy chocolate cake for two that he asked me to make for them.


I'm not gonna lie - I tasted it while I was making it to make sure it was good. It is SO good. You should make this... soon. I made up the recipe as I was going so I have written it here as close to what I did as possible. In any case you will end up with a double chocolate vegan cake made with love so it can't be a bad thing.

It's safe to say I won my bro some brownie points tonight... or cake points. Happy Birthday, Marcella!


Today I stayed home from school because I didn't feel well in the morning. I really don't know what's up lately. I basically never get sick since I've been vegan and yet in the past two months I've now gotten TWO colds. Hmph.

Ah well, it gave me some much needed time to get my thoughts together for a paper in my history of sexuality course. Fascinating stuff! I love history (we need to know our past in order to understand our present, and predict our future). When you think about it, sexuality is a fundamental factor in everything humans do.

What are all organisms all about? Food and sex. Respectively, they keep us alive and allow us to pass along our genes to continue the survival and evolution of our species. Pretty simple rules for a very complicated world. Ultimately, all we need to look at to understand human behaviour are the driving forces of food and sex. This is why I think my history of sexuality course is so interesting and important. Sorry... I got a little off topic. Back to mini birthday cakes. 


It's super moist and super chocolatey so be prepared for bliss. You'll have left over cake and icing.

Double Chocolate Mini Cake: serves 2

Cake:
3/4 cup vegan milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup cane sugar/brown sugar
1/2 cup veg oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract 

3/4 cup whole wheat/oat/almond flour
3/4 cup cocoa/cacao 
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cinnamon
A wee bit of honey/agave/maple syrup, if desired

Frosting:
1/4 cup tofu
1/2 cup cashew butter
1/3 cup raw powdered sugar
1/4 veg oil/vegan butter
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
Vanilla seeds from 1 pod
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup agave/honey/maple syrup
1/8-1/4 cup booze (I used maple whiskey) 
1/2 bar melted dark chocolate
1/3 cup cocoa 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To make the cake, mix ingredients from first list together and let sit for 5 minutes. Sift in the rest of the ingredients and stir until smooth. Taste it to make sure it's to your liking.
Pour evenly into two 9 inch cake pans lined with foil. The batter should be pretty shallow in both; that's because you're going to be making 4 layers. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
While they're baking, make the icing. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. It should taste like the best freaking chocolate icing ever. Set aside.

When done baking, let the cakes sit out in the pans for 10 minutes. Then take them out and use a giant cookie cutter (big circle) to cut out 4 cake circles - 2 from each cake. Put the bottom layer onto something you can easily transfer it with later. Then frost each layer and finally the top and sides. Hurraw! 

I had to decorate mine with goji berries. You know me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

this also best choice to make beef bourguignon if you are have party