Thursday 12 September 2013

raw vegan phở with hoisin sauce, broccoli, mushrooms, basil & sprouts


I promised you this recipe awhile ago, and now I am delivering. I got the idea to make raw phở a couple weeks ago and couldn't get the thought out of my mind. I mean, we all love phở right? But personally I am not too crazy about the high salt content and rice noodles. The fresh broccoli, warm, gingery broth, crunchy sprouts and aromatic basil, though? COUNT ME IN. 

This recipe has all the positives and none of the processed. Oh! Some other advantages? It's super cheap to make, and low-fat! (I know those factors are important to a lot of you.) It's basically no fat if you choose not to make the hoisin sauce but c'mon now - it's raw. vegan. hoisin. sauce. I want to literally bathe in this recipe. 


I couldn't have been happier with the flavour of the broth. I was a bit skeptical I could make it taste as great as the original but it honestly tastes BETTER. No kidding. You get the real, unrefined flavour of onion, garlic, ginger, coriander and cinnamon, with none of the excess salt. You can choose to warm it slightly with your broccoli and mushrooms on the stove like I did (this also steams the veggies a little bit which I love) or you can leave everything totally raw and enjoy it at room temperature. 


I basically inhaled two bowls of this; it was like a phở frenzy. I was so full I left the last bowl to my mom. I still have the taste of the dish in my mouth and I am now craving more... dang. Make this anytime you wanna warm up and ward off colds. The ingredients are all anti-cancer super foods that will keep you living long and smiling big. What's not to love?


raw vegan phở with hoisin sauce, broccoli, mushrooms, basil & sprouts
serves: 1-2

noodles:
1 large zucchini sliced into noodles on a mandolin, spiral slicer or cheese grater

broth:
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon chunk of peeled ginger
Dash of cinnamon and coriander, to taste
3 cups hot water
1 tablespoon miso (any kind will work) 
1 peeled garlic clove

hoisin sauce:
1 tablespoon tamari
1 tablespoon maple syrup (or other preferred sweetener)
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
1 peeled garlic clove

Toppings:
1 head of broccoli, cut into bite size pieces 
1/4 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
3-4 sliced white mushrooms

To make the broth: blend all the ingredients until smooth. Strain if you want, and mix in your broccoli and mushrooms. You can either warm this mixture up on the stove (and simultaneously lightly steam the veggies) or leave as-is. I just love steamed broccoli and warm broth. Pour this over your noodles in one or two bowls and top off with sprouts and basil leaves. 

To make the sauce: blend all the ingredients until smooth. If it's too thick, add some water. Pour over your phở bowl(s) and DIG IN WITH CHOPSTICKS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

this also best choice to make beef bourguignon if you are have party