Monday 22 April 2013

fruit popsicles with coconut milk


Simplicity is vital for happiness, and deliciousness. That is why this delicious recipe is going to make you so happy. They are almost too easy to make and almost too good to eat. Of course, I made and ate them anyway. You should too. 


The ice cream is just coconut milk and raw cane sugar. You can use whatever sweetener you like; I am sure date paste, raw agave, maple syrup or bananas would all work. You can use the canned coconut milk found in stores or make your own, using this recipe I found. I was really excited to learn that you can make your own raw coconut milk at home (although when you actually think about it - it shouldn't be a surprise). I will be doing this next time. I am probably going to drink the entire concoction right away, self-restraint thrown out with the coconut husk shavings...

I just cannot resist coconut. 


I poured the sweet coconut milk into popsicle molds filled with frozen fruit and thyme (I have since learned that it was not thyme I picked, nor rosemary, but lavender. You can use whatever herb you like.) The combination is an explosion of wholesome goodness in your mouth, and I mean that in the best way imaginable. I'm learning that my favourite herbs like basil, rosemary and thyme, pair wonderfully with my other favourite foods like berries, citrus, and other fruit. I suppose I shouldn't be shocked; these raw plants are all best friends in nature so it makes sense that they taste magical together.


Today was a perfect day for photographing (and gobbling down) these popiscles. The sun is still shining and soon I plan to march into the garden and start planting for the summer! On the agenda: tomatoes, basil, kale, spinach, lettuce, beans, potatoes, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, cucumber, bell peppers, eggplant, and more. Elsewhere in the yard we have goji berries, figs, strawberries and blueberries all tentatively growing. There is nothing like a salad fresh picked by you from your own soil. You realize that food is not just something we put in our mouths - we are meant to have a relationship with it. You and your plants grow together and then become one when the time is right. 

Hurrah for symbiosis.


fruit popsicles with coconut milk: makes twelve

Ice cream:
400 ml fresh raw coconut milk (or 1 can of store-bought) 
1/4 cup raw cane sugar (or preferred sweetener, to taste)

Other ingredients (use however much you need):
Frozen fruit
Finely chopped thyme, rosemary, basil or other fave herb (optional) 

To prepare the popsicles: fill popsicle molds with small pieces of fruit and chopped herbs (don't forget the popsicle sticks!) leaving room for the ice cream to fill in. 

To make the ice cream: blend the coconut milk and sweetener until smooth. Then carefully and slowly pour into your popsicle molds until they are full. Set in the freezer overnight or until frozen solid - then take them out and lick them clean in the warm sunshine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

this also best choice to make beef bourguignon if you are have party