Friday 12 April 2013

lemon bars with coconut


A reader recommended I try making raw lemon bars, so here you are! They are nut free, and can be gluten free if you use buckwheat groats instead of oats. I paired them with coconut because the two go so well together and also, I was able to use finely ground dried coconut to sprinkle on the bars, instead of powdered white sugar like in the conventional recipe! Hurray for natural sweeteners. 

I think they turned out pretty well, but I will be making these again soon so I can improve. One thing I would change is using the whole lemon - it made it too bitter. So I suggest you just use just the juice from 3 lemons. I have already corrected this in the recipe so don't worry your pretty little head. Or your pretty normal-sized head. I dunno. Whatever kind of head you have - don't worry it. Just enjoy. 


lemon bars with coconut: makes about 12 bars

Base:
3/4 cup oats (or buckwheat groats if you want it gluten-free)
3/4 cup dates
3/4 cup coconut shreds

Lemon layer:
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup (or 1 cup dates, but this will change the colour)
Juice from 3 lemons
1/2 cup coconut shreds
1 or 2 bananas

To make the base: pulse the oats or buckwheat groats and coconut shreds in your food processor until they become a rough flour. Add the dates and process until it all sticks together. Press into the bottom of a square baking pan and put in the fridge.

To make the lemon layer: blend all the ingredients until smooth. See if you like the taste and adjust accordingly. Spread evenly on to the base layer and set in the fridge overnight. The next day, cut into squares and sprinkle with finely ground coconut flakes for a powdered sugar effect. Nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

this also best choice to make beef bourguignon if you are have party